I normally avoid social media for social purposes (you know what I mean….) but then sometimes when one has time, a whiskey on the side table, plate of kebabs on the other side table…..one does open it to see what is going on…..
Every time I log into any social media platform, I see people posting about:
1. Where are they eating? This fancy restaurant, that fancy restaurant….
2. Where are they vacationing? The more exotic the location the better….
3. Where did they lecture?
4. Where was their photo printed?
5. What have they won?
I think you got the picture……
For some reason, my mind started wandering why do people post so much about what they are doing, their self-perceived accomplishments?
Earlier, when there was no social media, we only had “social life” wherein friends/relatives would meet, chit chat, laugh, joke even bitch around and then go home…to go back to their regular routines. It was essentially a nice laugh away your stress kind of time.
So, what happened? When did we stop enjoying the “social” bit and convert e-socializing into e-gloating (pardon my use of strong word)….and why?
Here is my analysis, please do share yours…enrich the discussion.
The factors that seem to be in play are:
1. It is very tough to show off when you are sitting with someone or some people. The average Joe himself starts feeling uncomfortable. Out of sight, it is much easier.
2. Most of us (and it is normal psychology) believe that we deserve more than what this life has given us. We try to compensate the gap by trying to push ourselves in the lime light.
3. With some people, at some level their appears to be an almost desperate attempt to say please, please, please look at me……see how awesome I am….how big a person I am….please, please please…… social media seems to be a place where you see a slew of people desperate people crying and screaming for recognition (I know I have used a bit strong words but that is only to make the point).
If you have interest in human psychology and behavior, please read Maslow’s Need Hierarchy. He had proposed and predicted this kind of behavior in 1943 but it still seems to very relevant.
And finally, since social media is unregulated, self-run & managed it has given people a free hand to do whatever they want (a unconditional unbridled freedom)….
As someone said; Never before a generation has achieved so little and talked so much about it..
And THAT is the reason why all the social media platforms (Facebook, Whatsapp, Instagram etc.) have succeeded so handsomely……because ….they pander to one of the strongest desires of human beings…..which is…..
I am worth it and I am bigger, better than others…..humans will do anything to get that feeling
Think about it…., like it, share it and please do write your comments….God Bless you.